Mission and Values
Our mission is to implement and promote technology in a way which will allow organisations with limited incomes to thrive.
We can do this through:
- Raising awareness of technology and its best use
- Developing organisational wide IT systems
- Providing Digital Inclusion training and education
- Advancing the use of existing IT systems
- Promoting the use of open source software and standards
- Advocacy with government at all levels to create regulations and policy in relation to the expansion and use of technology within society
- Collaboration with other organisations
- Supporting local communities
- Investing in people
- Creating opportunities
History of CITS
Community IT Services CIC was formed by IT volunteers from the Norwich Credit Union, Norfolk Community Advice Network, and the Voluntary Norfolk Digital Inclusion project, the latter funded by Norwich City Council.
These volunteers realised that there was a demand from organisations, with limited funds, to implement and expand IT systems. In order to formalise this work, we decided to create a Community Interest Company (CIC).
Creating a CIC allows us to generate income from organisations who can afford to pay, and use the profit from this work to fund IT activities with organisations that would otherwise not have adequate funds for these purposes.
Additionally, we did not want to forget our roots and therefore we believe that it is important to ensure that people are not excluded from accessing digital services. Therefore, we have a social aim of supporting Digital Inclusion activities within local communities.